A fun activity to help children to become more involved and enjoy shopping in the supermarket
Create a card for most food items the family regularly purchases. To create these cards:
- Save the packaging of each of these products over the course of 3 to 4 weeks;
- Cut out the front cover of packets. Produce that has been packaged in plastic or paper can be laminated or glued to cardboard to make the card last longer.
Take the cards with you when you next shop with your children. These cards can be used in a variety of ways:
- For young children give them the food card when you approach where that item is on the shelf and encourage them to find it and put it in the trolley;
- For older children give them one or several cards and a basket and encourage them to find the items and bring them back to the trolley;
- Children may enjoy choosing the food cards of items they wish to find.
Remember to always smile and give your child positive acknowledgement for each item they find.
Positive acknowledgement may involve:
- High five;
- Thumbs up;
- Loving touch.